Yep, it's May. Our current (subject to change) departure date from Eugene is in 45 days. The clock is ticking. So much to do.
Here's a brief rundown of where we are:
Horse is not sold, but it looks like that will happen (pending vetting) this week. I have an offer (a lowball offer, but an offer) on the table, and I'm likely to have another by the end of the day. Horse stuff is gradually being condensed, given away, sold, and used up. I'm hoping to have just two trunks and a few boxes of horse stuff by departure day. I might have the trailer sold, too.
We have not yet heard from the relocation agent, but we've contacted the school again and asked for the name so we can contact them. We do, however, both have BIS logins. That's right, both of us. I have a job! My contract is in the mail, but our experience last time was that it took FOREVER, so it should arrive in the next month or so . . . .
We're particularly anxious to ask some of our many questions. The first is, does it make sense to get a place sight unseen? Based on our needs (accommodating two large dogs, location, price) we suspect the market will be limited, and we'll have to jump on whatever is available. The reality is we'll cope with a place that isn't "pretty" or whatever for whatever the duration of the lease is. It's not the end of the world. Our other point of discussion is the dogs. What's the best course of action for getting them to Germany? What shots and paperwork and stuff do they need to have done and in what time frame? The clock is ticking on that front, too!
We're working on our driving itinerary, want to book flights soon (yet another question for the relocation agent), and we have no idea what things to pack and what to leave behind.
We're still teaching, meaning we're still working quite hard at a great many things. Ordinarily, teaching can be a 60 hour/week job. Right now we're both fortunate to have some student/co-teachers. I have a student teacher who is taking 3 of my 5 classes. While it sounds like she is taking 60% of my workload, that isn't quite the case. For starters, I have to consult with her, and I am still ultimately responsible for the class. Yes, I can leave during the class period from time to time, and yes, the planning and grading fall to her, but I am still emailing parents, checking out computers, looking over her lessons, etc. It does, however, reduce my workload considerably--a relief when one considers that I am also trying to pack up my classroom. Gus is co-teaching some classes, meaning he also has SOME flexibility in time--more so than in years past. Again, it's not much, but it's something.
This week should be a bit nuts. Thomas and Romina are visiting, which has prompted the next round of cleaning and packing. By that I mean we packed one box for storage, loaded up a bunch of boxes to be sold/donated/whatever as well as a bunch of old electronics (my college laptop, which weighs enough that it could be a dangerous weapon--or an excellent workout prop) for recycling, and thrown away a bunch of junk. That gave us enough floor space for the air mattress we're borrowing for the Lempfert kiddos. Each time we sort through the pile of stuff, we do this--pack, recycle, throw away. A few more rounds of this--and by a few, I mean a TON--and we're good to go. I see a yard sale in our future as well.
No pictures right now as I'm off to the barn to hopefully sell my horse. I'm trying to get better, so another update soon?
No comments:
Post a Comment