Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Getting Things Done

Or not!

Saturday:  The first day of spring break . . . involved trailering the horse out for a lesson, then going for a massage, then meeting with my student teacher for next term.  That was pretty much my day.  No packing was accomplished.

Sunday:  Gus left for his snowshoeing trip up Willamette Pass with Mike.  I went to the horse expo in Albany, where I scored petal bell boots in my XC color (red), show quality full seat breeches, and fleece lined winter breeches.  Total retail value?  $280.  Total expenditure?  $70.  Score!  Watched some demos, dreamed of having lots and lots of money, laughed at myself for such a foolish dream when I chose teaching as a profession, and spent the day with horsey friends.  Good day, but no packing was accomplished.

Monday:  Chiro appointment.  Returned home and put down straw on the mud in the backyard.  Our packet from BIS arrived.  I got distracted reading about Munich.  Gus came home early from snow camping and we spent the afternoon getting excited about our move and learning about getting a German driver's license (a process about which I anticipate many a blog post given the German love of red tape).  He ruined my evening alone with a bottle of wine, but he took me out to sushi.  This rendered me useless for the remainder of the evening.  No packing was accomplished.

Tuesday:  Went to the barn.   Got a surprise phone call from some friends who live in Klamath Falls (several hours away) who were in town.  They came and spent the afternoon/night with us.  We did manage to sort through the mystery National Geographic boxes.  These boxes (many of them) were delivered to our house while we were in London by an unknown source.  The ladies making the delivery asked for Gus by name, so our friend Bill kindly allowed them to stack the boxes in the dining room.  We have no idea where these Nat'l Geos originated, but somebody must have known I've always wanted them!  Unfortunately now we are moving  . . . anyway, Dylan, Becca, Gus and I proceeded to sort through them only to find we have Dec '48-1951, about 1/3-1/2 of the 1950s, and all but one magazine from 1960-1997 except the entire set of 1983 magazines.  There must have been a bad NG crop that year or something.  To make up for it, we had virtually all of the 1970s and 1980s in duplicate, and 1993 was even represented in triplicate.  The pickings are slim from 1998-2011, though.  For now, we have boxed all of those 1948-2011 magazines and kept the duplicates out for people to pick through/claim/to be donated.  Any takers?  It was great fun reading the articles and especially the advertisements while we worked!  Some board games followed, and Tuesday drew to a close.  Reboxing of NG magazines (and restacked in the dining room) was accomplished.   No ACTUAL packing was accomplished.

Wednesday:  After a leisurely breakfast with friends, Gus lured me to the bookstore.  Then we looked at our plans for the summer and the cross country drive.  We have that mapped out now.  I'm off to the gym (first time since the start of break--crazy how time flies), and I'm skipping the barn in the hopes of actually accomplishing some packing--for my weekend with the family.  If I'm lucky, I can get a bit of ACTUAL packing done as well.  Wish me luck!

Tomorrow I have the barn, the gym, and perhaps a bit of packing (wishful thinking) before catching an evening flight to Atlanta for the weekend.  I return Sunday afternoon, and I will be riding my horse--a requirement as I have potential buyers coming to see her on Monday.  I will not be accomplishing any packing after tomorrow afternoon.

Becca and Dylan stack the magazines by year and decade.  We (all four of us) outed ourselves as nerds by our constant "I've read that one" comments--often about magazines older than we were.  We continued our nerdy ways by reading articles as we stacked . . . . 

Becca leans over 1948-1951 to reach for the 60s.  Note the extra tall stacks for 1978, 1989 (slightly behind wall into hallway) and 1993.  Note the gap for '83.

All the magazines not in boxes are duplicates free for the taking.

The boxes (except the small pile of junk on top of one) are all full of the NGs I haven't let Gus throw out yet and that I hope I can keep.

So much for using Spring Break to pack!  In my defense, I did get some planning (both for the move and for school) and some relaxing done . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment